We find it easy to toss food into the mouth of our pet dog especially when she looks at you with those puppy eyes and wagging tail. What harm can it do, right? It’s not like we’re giving them poison.

However, the way dogs metabolize food is far different from ours. What could be safe for humans may not necessarily apply to man’s best friend. So before you toss a treat into your mutt’s eager mouth, you should ask yourself – ‘is this safe for my doggy?’

The following are common foods that you should NEVER feed your dog:

 

  1. Chocolate

Theobromine, a substance found in chocolate is deadly for dogs. It doesn’t matter if it’s white chocolate, milk chocolate or dark chocolate – all are toxic for your pooch.

  1. Coffee

The caffeine in coffee can give your dog seizures, fits and heart palpitations. Some say a little would do no harm but why take the risk?

  1. Avocado

Avocado is considered a super food but only for humans. The compound ‘persin’ which can be found in avocado flesh, leaves, seeds and bark can prove fatal to your fur buddy.

  1. Grapes and Raisins

fresh, dried, preserved, it doesn’t matter. Leave this out of your dog’s diet or treat. It is so harmful that even a small amount can cause kidney failure.

  1. Onion and Garlic

Whether you are feeding your pooch in large quantities or small amounts in regular intervals poisons your dog. It will disrupt the production of red blood cells resulting to anemia.

  1. Alcohol

‘Alcohol’ is not only restricted to beer or rum or whiskey but can also be a by-product of dough or unbaked bread. Watch signs of dizziness and lack of coordination.

  1. Macadamia nuts

A few nuts can mean vomiting and tremors as well as overall weakness for your dog.  Look for another treat instead to give to your doggy.

  1. Peaches and Plums

Be careful when you throw away the pits when eating plums and peaches because your dog might be curious and eat it. This can potentially cause intestine inflammation and obstruction.

  1. Gum or Candy

Artificial sweeteners like Xylitol in gum and candy products can cause liver failure. Xylitol can also be found in toothpaste and some diet foods.

  1. Salt

Go easy on feeding salty foods. When there’s too much salt in their system they can go into seizures, tremors and even death.

 

If your dog accidentally ingests any of the above, watch out for these signs:

 

  • Excessive thirst
  • Seizures
  • Restlessness
  • Rapid breathing
  • Palpitations
  • Vomiting
  • Coma

So think twice about what you give as food and treats. Failing to provide immediate medical attention could mean death.